Friday, August 14, 2009

too little too late too sad

My dear readers,

I did get up at 3:30 am, turned out Joleen, world's cutest English pointer pup, convinced her to camp in the kennel for a few hours and went back in the house to get the trusty Toby for company and possible protection ... from who know what and headed out for Perseids viewing. My first clue, should have been this: at no time have I had to use a flashlight, the moon is straight up above and shining like a huge beacon lighting the landscape so it seemed more like dawn. Oh, well, I put the lawn chair in the back of the little red truck, loaded Toby and me and drove up to the meadow, parked and peeked out... no meteors and where, the heck is the big dipper... the landmark to look for according to my internet source. I thought I could sit in the truck with the door open, but no, because the truck interior light shown as bright as the moon. So I pulled on the hat (again, internet advice) and climbed from the truck seat to the back of the truck... without touching the ground I'm pleased to say. I watched and waited... and waited and watched, but no 100 meteors an hour in my part of the sky. So I gave up and headed home, paused to peek out the window at the top of the hill and WOW I saw a good one. So I parked, moved myself to the back of the truck to my lawn chair and waited. I saw 2 small ones or possibly they were fire flies. So my report on meteor watching at our place in Woodson County, Kansas is that really, seeing 6-10 meteors in an hour between the hours of 10 ish and midnight works for me... wishing to see many at 4 am was disappointing and I'm sleepy. So next year when they come I'll try again... and I've got a year to work out a better plan... Mimi says that we quite often as children, joined her on a blanket in the yard and star gazed, maybe once or twice a month when it was warm... I wish I remembered that. She says that it's the climbing in the back of the truck that is troublesome with my plan, so next year, it's me and my mom in the miata. Now that's a plan. :)

2 comments:

  1. I miss the blog for a couple days, so I miss the peak of the Perseids! Well, I might try tonight anyway, since me and some friends are going camping. If I don't see anything, you'll have to tell me more about it the next time we see one another. I like your descriptive language; what book about Alaskans are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Patty! I also missed the peak :( BUT, I did receive some amazing birthday cookies yesterday that are beautiful and great!! Thanks, miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete