Friday, July 17, 2009

My Miata, May 2006

This is my car story: I got the call from Frank (the minister) that all the paperwork was in order and I could come pick up my miata (love the sound of that!) So I ask Mimi to drive me to the Bank of Commerce (think wild animals here!) where he wanted to meet, 'cause he thought he needed a notary to witness his signature. He makes sure I sign my name and fill in my stuff correctly, I give him money, he hands me keys. Mimi drives me over to pick it up. It starts! Good sign.

I forget to see where 5th gear is... so I drive to the farm in 4th... just as well, 'cause after a truck, it seems really little, like I'm going way fast... so I motor out to Mimi's. As I'm driving along, I realize that I have no tag, no temp sticker, no nothing on the back of my miata (I love to say that!). So I call Woodson County and see what I can do about getting to YC to get a tag. Fortunately, I had already talked with the insurance company and they had written a policy for it. This becomes important later.

The folks at the Treasurer's office say it is illegal to drive a car without a license tag and I could be stopped, fined and have to pay court costs... they didn't mention jail time so that was good. This is problematic. I call the Woodson County Sheriff's Office, a deputy tells me that while she can't tell me to do it, that some people put the tag from their old car on the new one to drive to the tag place. This is what I do. By now, I've read the book and know where 5th gear is... and off I go to YC. I got up to 60, everyone passed me! I'm going 60, both hands on the wheel, senses in high alert, sure I'll be blown off the road by the gusty winds. Doesn't happen. That little car (my miata) stays steady as can be. Even when the semis went by me, it didn't get blown aside. Thank goodness. But I digress.

I finally get up to 65, make it to YC well before 5 pm and head to the Sheriff's office, because I think that I have to have the vehicle inspected. No, not if you have a Kansas title... they send me to the Treasurer's office, they want proof of insurance. No, I don't have that. Off I go to the State Farm office. I paid for 3 months insurance, my card says 1 month... I'll have to check that out.

Anyway, back to the Treasurer's office. Hand her my newly printed insurance card, my title and the Power Of Attorney paper Frank needed to be able to sign the title for his daughter and her husband who owned the car, now reside in England... he's an actual JAG officer...The woman, inexplicably, says "You have a problem!" Yikes, there must be a warrant for my arrest for having driven illegally??? No. it's worse. Frank signed the title using his daughter's name instead of his son in law's name. Frank is Stacy's dad, this car was Stacy's, so that's the way he handled it... the car actually is in both of their names and had he just written in the son-in-law's name, I'd have a tag, and be legal.

Now, Frank has to get his daughter to send a power of attorney from England. I have to get that piece of paper to the Treasurer's office and then I can pay them to sell me a license tag...Now my problem is that I've told way too many government agencies including the Sheriff that I have a license tag issue...

Soooo I got home without getting stopped for driving too slow in "my miata", discovered that our road had car swallowing pot holes, know that Frank and his wife were not home last night, had to ask Dad if he would drive over and take me back to the farm to get my truck. So sometime next week, I hope to have a tag... it's the world's longest buying a car story. Good lesson, always require the seller to put a temp tag on the old used car I'm buying. It's the cutest car. Even Poppi agreed! Well, more than you wanted to know.

Good news, the JAG lawyer and his wife emailed the required documents, Woodson county accepted them, got my tag, am ready to drive... by the by, there is an equally cute car in YC... it is a pale aqua with black top BMW convertible... woo woo.

Well, there you go, this week’s episode of adventures in patty land …

No comments:

Post a Comment